Unsure of how to make the most out of your trip to Unawatuna, Sri Lanka? As a globe-trotter, I’ve scoured this coastal town with its stunning sandy beaches and intriguing cultural landmarks.
My journey unveiled an abundance of activities ranging from beach relaxation to heart-pumping water sports and enlightening wildlife encounters. Read on, paradise awaits!
- Unawatuna, Sri Lanka offers a wide range of activities for adventure travelers, including relaxing on beautiful beaches, surfing at Sahana Beach, and snorkeling at Jungle Beach.
- Visitors can also explore cultural landmarks such as Galle Fort and the Japanese Peace Pagoda, as well as browse the vibrant Galle Markets.
- Nature and wildlife enthusiasts can swim with turtles, visit the turtle rescue sanctuary, and take day trips to nearby beaches.
Top Attractions and Activities in Unawatuna
Relax at Unawatuna Beach
Unawatuna Beach is a real treat. You’ll love the soft sand and cool waves. It’s a perfect spot to lie down, soak up the sun, and let your mind rest. The clear water is great for a quick dip too! Take time to watch the magical sunset over this beautiful stretch of shoreline.
Trust me, nothing beats this tranquil moment by the sea at Unawatuna Beach.
Swing at the Dalawella Beach Swing
One of the thrilling activities you can do in Unawatuna is swinging at the Dalawella Beach Swing. This swing is located on the beach, and it offers an exciting experience for adventure travelers.
As you swing back and forth, you feel the rush of adrenaline and the cool sea breeze against your face. It’s a great way to enjoy the beautiful scenery while having fun. The swing itself hangs from a palm tree, adding to its charm.
Don’t forget to capture this unforgettable moment with some incredible photos! So grab hold of that rope and prepare for an exhilarating ride on the Dalawella Beach Swing in Unawatuna.
Go surfing at Sahana Beach
Are you ready for some thrilling adventure in Unawatuna? One of the must-try activities is surfing at Sahana Beach. Here’s why you should grab a surfboard and hit the waves:
- Feel the adrenaline rush as you ride the waves in one of Sri Lanka’s most picturesque locations.
- Sahana Beach offers great surf conditions for both beginners and experienced surfers.
- The warm tropical waters and consistent swells make it an ideal spot to catch some amazing waves.
- If you’re new to surfing, don’t worry! There are surf schools in Unawatuna that offer lessons for all skill levels.
- Expert instructors will guide you through the basics and teach you how to ride the waves like a pro.
- Enjoy the stunning views of palm – lined beaches while waiting for your next wave.
- After an exhilarating surfing session, take a break on the pristine sandy beach and soak up the sun.
Visit the Dog Care Clinic in Unawatuna
If you’re an animal lover, don’t miss the chance to visit the Dog Care Clinic in Unawatuna. This clinic is dedicated to providing care and support for stray dogs in the area. They offer veterinary services, vaccinations, and even help find permanent homes for these furry friends.
It’s a great opportunity to learn about their efforts in animal welfare and contribute to their cause by volunteering or making donations. So, take some time out of your trip to Unawatuna and pay a visit to this wonderful clinic that is making a difference in the lives of these adorable pups.
Visit Galle Fort
When you’re in Unawatuna, a must-visit place is Galle Fort. This historic fortification offers a glimpse into the area’s colonial past and is filled with interesting attractions. You can explore the charming streets lined with colonial buildings, visit museums that showcase the history of the fort, and admire stunning views from the ramparts.
Don’t forget to check out the lighthouse and take a leisurely walk along the fort walls while enjoying panoramic views of the ocean. Galle Fort is a fascinating destination that will transport you back in time and leave you with lasting memories of your adventure in Unawatuna.
Go Snorkeling at Jungle Beach
Snorkeling at Jungle Beach is an amazing adventure that you shouldn’t miss in Unawatuna. Here’s why:
- Explore the vibrant coral reefs and see a variety of colorful fish species.
- Get up close with turtles, as Jungle Beach is known for its turtle population.
- Dive into crystal clear waters and discover the underwater beauty of Unawatuna.
- Snorkeling equipment is readily available for rent, so you don’t have to worry about bringing your own gear.
- Join guided snorkeling tours to ensure a safe and immersive experience.
- Feel the thrill of swimming alongside marine creatures in their natural habitat.
- Capture stunning underwater photos to remember this incredible experience.
Explore Nature and Wildlife in Unawatuna
Swim with the turtles, visit the turtle rescue sanctuary, and take a day trip to explore the nearby beaches for an exciting nature and wildlife experience in Unawatuna.
Swim with the turtles
Swimming with the turtles is an incredible experience that you won’t want to miss in Unawatuna. The area is known for its sea turtle population, and there are opportunities to see them up close and personal.
You can visit the Sea Turtle Farm and Hatchery, where they rescue and rehabilitate injured turtles before releasing them back into the ocean. If you’re lucky, you might even get a chance to swim alongside these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat.
It’s a unique adventure that offers a memorable encounter with marine life.
Visit the turtle rescue sanctuary
I love visiting the turtle rescue sanctuary in Unawatuna! It’s an amazing place where you can learn about conservation efforts and see adorable baby turtles. The sanctuary is committed to protecting these endangered creatures and releasing them back into the wild when they’re ready.
It’s a unique opportunity to get up close with these majestic animals and even have the chance to hold a baby turtle in your hands. The knowledgeable staff will give you insights into their work and educate you about the importance of preserving marine life.
It’s truly a memorable experience that highlights the beauty of nature and reminds us of our responsibility to protect it.
Take a day trip to explore the nearby beaches
Let’s take a day trip to explore the beautiful nearby beaches in Unawatuna. Pack your beach gear and get ready for some fun in the sun! Here are some amazing beaches you can visit:
- Wijaya Beach: This pristine beach is known for its calm waters and palm-lined shores. Take a dip in the crystal-clear water or simply relax on the soft sand.
- Jungle Beach: Located near Rumassala Mountain, this secluded beach offers a tranquil escape from the bustling city. Swim in its turquoise waters and soak up the natural beauty all around you.
- Mirissa Beach: Just a short drive away from Unawatuna, Mirissa Beach is famous for its stunning sunsets and vibrant nightlife. Enjoy water sports activities like surfing or take a boat ride to spot dolphins and whales.
- Hikkaduwa Beach: Another popular beach destination nearby, Hikkaduwa is known for its colorful coral reefs and abundant marine life. Go snorkeling or scuba diving to explore the underwater wonders of this coastal paradise. But make sure you bring along something to keep you warm- these are some of the best wetsuits we found in our research!
- Bentota Beach: If you’re looking for adventure, head to Bentota Beach where you can try thrilling water sports like jet skiing, banana boat rides, and parasailing.
- Talalla Beach: For a serene and peaceful experience, visit Talalla Beach with its golden sand and gentle waves. It’s a great place to unwind and enjoy breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean.
Cultural Experiences in Unawatuna
Explore the rich culture of Unawatuna by visiting the Japanese Peace Pagoda, exploring Galle Fort, and browsing the vibrant Galle Markets. Discover the hidden gems that will immerse you in the local traditions and history.
Read on to uncover these cultural treasures.
Visit the Japanese Peace Pagoda
The Japanese Peace Pagoda is a must-visit attraction in Unawatuna. It offers breathtaking views of the surrounding area and is a peaceful place to explore. The pagoda was built as a symbol of peace and harmony, and it serves as a reminder of the importance of unity among all people.
As you make your way up to the pagoda, you’ll be surrounded by lush greenery and stunning landscapes. Once at the top, take a moment to soak in the tranquility and enjoy panoramic views of the ocean and Unawatuna Bay.
It’s an incredible spot for meditation or simply appreciating the beauty of nature. Don’t forget your camera – this is one sight you’ll want to capture!
Explore Galle Fort
One of the must-visit places in Unawatuna is Galle Fort. It’s a historic fortification that offers a glimpse into the area’s colonial past. As you explore Galle Fort, you’ll be surrounded by charming cobblestone streets, Dutch colonial buildings, and ancient churches.
Don’t miss the chance to walk along the fort walls for panoramic views of the ocean and city. Inside the fort, you’ll find art galleries, boutique shops, cafes, and restaurants where you can relax and soak up the atmosphere.
Galle Fort is also home to several historical landmarks such as the Old Dutch Hospital and All Saints’ Church, which are worth exploring during your visit.
Browse the Galle Markets
When exploring Unawatuna, don’t miss the opportunity to browse the lively and vibrant Galle Markets. This bustling marketplace is a treasure trove of local goods and souvenirs. From colorful clothing and handmade crafts to spices and fresh produce, there’s something for everyone here.
Immerse yourself in the sights, sounds, and smells as you wander through the market stalls. Interact with friendly vendors who will gladly share stories about their products. Take your time to find unique items like intricate batik prints or beautifully handcrafted jewelry made by local artisans.
Whether you’re looking for a memento of your trip or wanting to experience the vibrant culture of Unawatuna, browsing the Galle Markets is an adventure in itself.
Adventure and Water Sports in Unawatuna
Experience thrilling adventure and water sports in Unawatuna, including scuba diving, boat rides, motorbike rides, surfing, and stand-up paddleboarding.
I love scuba diving in Unawatuna! The crystal-clear waters and vibrant coral reefs make it a perfect spot for underwater exploration. You can dive at various sites around Unawatuna, including Rumassala, Goda Gala Diyamba, and Bonavista Reef.
These dive sites offer diverse marine life such as colorful fish, sea turtles, and even shipwrecks to explore. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced diver, there are options for everyone with several reputable dive centers offering guided dives and equipment rental.
So grab your gear and get ready to discover the fascinating underwater world of Unawatuna!
One of the exciting activities you can enjoy in Unawatuna is going on boat rides. Whether you prefer a leisurely cruise or a thrilling speedboat adventure, there are plenty of options to choose from.
Take a scenic boat ride along the coast and marvel at the stunning views of palm-lined beaches and crystal-clear waters. You can also join a fishing excursion and try your hand at catching some local seafood.
For those looking for an adrenaline rush, hop on a speedboat and experience the thrill of speeding through the waves. Boat rides in Unawatuna offer a unique perspective of the coastal beauty and provide an unforgettable experience for adventure travelers.
Let’s rev up the excitement with motorbike rides in Unawatuna! Hop on a bike and explore this beautiful coastal town at your own pace. Feel the wind in your hair as you cruise along the palm-lined beaches and marvel at the stunning ocean views.
You can zip through narrow streets, discovering hidden gems and local markets along the way. The best part is that motorbike rides give you the freedom to go wherever your adventurous spirit takes you.
Whether you’re seeking adrenaline-pumping thrills or a leisurely exploration, Unawatuna has it all. So, put on your helmet and get ready for an unforgettable adventure on two wheels!
Surfing or stand-up paddleboarding
When it comes to adventure activities in Unawatuna, you can’t miss out on surfing or stand-up paddleboarding. The area is known for its great waves and calm waters, making it the perfect spot for both beginners and experienced surfers.
You can rent a surfboard or a paddleboard from one of the many rental shops along the beach and hit the water. Whether you’re catching waves or gliding across the surface on a paddleboard, you’ll have an exhilarating experience surrounded by stunning coastal scenery.
So grab your board and get ready to ride the waves in Unawatuna!
Where to Stay and Travel Tips for Unawatuna
Find the best places to stay in Unawatuna and get essential travel tips for an unforgettable trip to this tropical paradise.
Best places to stay in Unawatuna
Looking for the best places to stay in Unawatuna? Here are some options that adventure travelers might enjoy:
- Thaproban Pavilion Resort and Spa: This beachfront resort offers luxurious accommodation, with amenities such as a swimming pool, spa, and restaurant.
- Bedspace Guesthouse: A budget-friendly option located close to Unawatuna Beach, offering clean and comfortable rooms with friendly staff.
- Cantaloupe Levels: This boutique hotel offers modern and stylish rooms with panoramic views of the Indian Ocean. It also has a rooftop infinity pool and a trendy cocktail bar.
- Dream Villa: Nestled amidst lush greenery, this villa provides a serene escape with spacious rooms, a private pool, and personalized service.
- Secret Garden Villa: Offering a cozy atmosphere and charming garden surroundings, this guesthouse is perfect for those seeking a home away from home experience.
When to visit Unawatuna
I recommend visiting Unawatuna between the months of November and April. This is when you can enjoy the best weather with sunny days and minimal rainfall. During this time, the ocean is calm, making it perfect for water activities like snorkeling and scuba diving.
Additionally, this period falls within the peak tourist season in Sri Lanka, so you can expect vibrant energy and plenty of fellow adventure travelers to connect with. Keep in mind that if you visit during December or January, it’s advisable to book your accommodations well in advance due to high demand.
So pack your bags and get ready for an incredible adventure in Unawatuna!
How to get to Unawatuna
Getting to Unawatuna is easy and convenient. Here are some options for adventure travelers:
- Fly into Bandaranaike International Airport in Colombo, the capital city of Sri Lanka.
- From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a pre – arranged transfer to Unawatuna.
- If you prefer public transportation, you can take a train from Colombo to Galle, which is just a short distance from Unawatuna.
- Once in Galle, you can take a tuk – tuk or taxi to Unawatuna, which is approximately 6 kilometers away.
- Another option is to rent a car or motorbike and drive to Unawatuna yourself. This gives you the flexibility to explore the area at your own pace.
- If you’re already in Sri Lanka, you can also take a bus from other cities like Colombo or Kandy to Galle and then continue on to Unawatuna.
Essential travel tips for a trip to Unawatuna
When planning a trip to Unawatuna, there are some essential travel tips you should keep in mind. First and foremost, it’s important to pack sunscreen and insect repellent since you’ll be spending a lot of time outdoors.
Additionally, make sure to bring appropriate beachwear and comfortable shoes for exploring the area. It’s also recommended to carry cash with you, as not all establishments accept credit cards.
When it comes to transportation, renting a motorbike or hiring a tuk-tuk is a convenient way to get around Unawatuna and explore nearby attractions like Galle Fort. Lastly, don’t forget your reusable water bottle as staying hydrated is key during your adventures in this tropical paradise.
Unawatuna, Sri Lanka is a paradise for adventure travelers looking for an unforgettable experience. From relaxing on the beautiful beaches to exploring cultural landmarks like the Japanese Peace Pagoda and Galle Fort, there’s something for everyone.
Whether you’re into water sports like surfing and snorkeling or want to discover the wildlife and nature in the area, Unawatuna has it all. Don’t forget to indulge in delicious local cuisine and experience the vibrant nightlife scene.
Plan your trip now and discover the best activities that Unawatuna has to offer!
1. What are some of the best activities to do in Unawatuna, Sri Lanka?
Some of the best activities to do in Unawatuna, Sri Lanka include swimming and sunbathing on the beautiful beaches, snorkeling or diving to explore the coral reefs, taking a boat ride to see turtles or whales, and visiting historical sites like the Japanese Peace Pagoda.
2. Can I go surfing in Unawatuna?
Yes, you can go surfing in Unawatuna. The nearby beach town of Weligama is known for its great surf breaks and offers lessons for beginners as well as more challenging waves for experienced surfers.
3. Are there any wildlife experiences available in Unawatuna?
Yes, there are wildlife experiences available in Unawatuna. You can visit the Koggala Lake to see diverse bird species and take a boat safari through mangroves, or you can visit the Yala National Park which is home to leopards, elephants, crocodiles and various other animals.
4. What is the best time to visit Unawatuna for outdoor activities?
The best time to visit Unawatuna for outdoor activities is during the dry season from November to April when temperatures are warm and rainfall is minimal. This allows for optimal conditions for beach activities and exploring nature in comfort.
Melanie Cho is a passionate traveler, storyteller, and cultural enthusiast with a heart that bridges the landscapes of Korea and Sri Lanka. As a 28-year-old Korean woman who spent her formative years splitting time between these two captivating worlds, Melanie’s unique upbringing ignited her love for exploration and connection. Her intimate knowledge of both cultures enables her to share authentic insights, captivating stories, and practical tips that inspire fellow adventurers to embark on unforgettable journeys.